So many to choose from – how can we pick just 15?
You know what we’re talking about. You hear the opening notes to “the song” and immediately your eyes grow wide and a smile spreads across your face. You will most likely sing along (at the top of your lungs and with as much dramatic flair as you can muster). Here then are our picks:
- “One Day More” from Les Miserables
We defy anyone to NOT sing along to anything in “Les Miserables”, but “One Day More” tops our list just because of the variety of characters involved (and yes we know you sing EVERY part too!).
- “If I Were A Rich Man” from Fiddler On The Roof
How’s your “Tevye” accent?
- “And I Am Telling You” from Dreamgirls
Such a blockbuster song – and that last note! Wow!
- “Tonight” from West Side Story
So which side are you on? Jets or Sharks?
- “Time Warp” from The Rocky Horror Show
Oh it also makes a great warm up before a show – just an FYI
- “Sound of Music” from The Sound of Music
Nothing like an old classic. Throw on a dirndl and find the closest mountain!
- “Cell Block Tango” from Chicago
Bonus points if you can do Hunyak’s lines without peeking.
- “Circle of Life” from The Lion King
After singing this one, you can transition to “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”. No pressure.
- “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” from Mary Poppins
If the words aren’t difficult enough, there are also the hand signs for this one.
- “Seasons of Love” from Rent
We must have sung this at least five hundred, twenty five thousand, six hundred times!
- “You Can’t Stop The Beat” from Hairspray
Big hair, colourful characters, and and epic score – what’s not to love?
- “Mamma Mia” from Mamma Mia
Abba and 70’s clothing – enough said!
- “It’s A Hard Knock Life” from Annie
You don’t have to be a red-headed orphan to belt out this song.
- “Alexander Hamilton” from Hamilton
Do we really need to say anything here?
- “Defying Gravity” from Wicked
It’s really all about the last few lines of this one isn’t it? Nobody is ever gonna bring you down!
Is your favourite showtune among our 15? Which song would you add to the list?
Tell us in the comments!